Ok, so let my start by saying that lately I’ve been on a serious sweet potato binge. I’m not sure what started this frenzy but its sticking, and its making me happy! Its my quick comfort food, and you know I like anything that tastes good with butter 🙂
I’ve been wanting to make a hash for a long time because I love me a skillet breakfast! I mean honestly, you don’t gotta tell me twice that I need to use LESS pots and pans and make everything in just ONE pan. Im with you, no one likes to eat a meal and then stand at the kitchen sink doing dishes for 40 days and 40 nights, that shit sucks.
This breakfast skillet gets made all in the same pan which is the beauty of it. I will be honest though, instead of cooking the eggs right in the skillet, I thought it was better when I fried an egg separately and added it on top!
Also, the red pepper in this was especially delicious today. I really tried to figure out why, but I’m still not sure if its because the pepper was organic or because it was really dark red in color. So, if you make this, try to find the darkest organic red pepper you can find 🙂 I wanted to make a poblano or some sort of a chili hot sauce to top this with but I was HANGRY so I just kept it movin’.
I’m positive you guys will LOVE this dish. Im going to make it again because my husband is a little upset looking at the photos and not coming home to leftovers. OOPS!
As always, if you have questions..DM me on instagram, its the best way to reach me if you’re in the middle of making one of my recipes and need a question answered right away.
Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Breakfast Skillet
3 cups sweet potato, peeled & diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced small
1 cup red bell pepper, diced small
1 jalepeno pepper, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons oil
- Boil the sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add two tablespoons of oil and add the onions and jalapeño.
- Once onions are translucent, add red peppers, garlic, salt and cook until peppers have softened. Transfer from skillet to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the skillet and add the drained sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- Cook potatoes until they are golden brown on all sides. Add onion and pepper mixture back into the pan and stir to combine.
- Make wells in the skillet and crack eggs into about 4 spaces.
- Cover pan and cook eggs until desired done-ness.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, sliced red long hot chilis, and fresh chives!
Note: You can also separately fry an egg and place it on top of the skillet (better option IMHO)