By the time I started making this salad, I was finished. No but really, when I set out to make it, I wasn’t on a mission to come up with a lighting fast recipe but I aint complainin’ that it turned out that way -and I have a feeling you won’t mind either! 😉
I love chopping asparagus because its a BAZILLION times easier to eat than when its left whole. This salad has simple ingredients and is perfect for a light lunch/snack, a side to meaty dinner or even as an appetizer for a spring party spread!
If you don’t have a grill pan, use a cast iron skillet for best results. Grilling the lemons right on the pan gets the juices flowing better than microwaving it or rolling it around on the counter- so don’t skip that step.
Also, pecorino romano is an easy cheese to find and I love it for its saltiness, it adds the perfect indulgent flavor to this light and crisp spring recipe. You could also replace it with feta or goat cheese- whatever floats your boat.
Happy Eating 🙂
Asparagus Salad with Tomatoes, Pine Nuts & Pecorino
- 3 Cups Chopped Asparagus (cut about 1/2 inch long)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino romano cheese
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat a grill pan on medium high heat.
- Add asparagus, salt & pepper and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add olive oil, and combine well.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chili flakes and place halved lemons cut side down on grill pan.
- Continue to cook until tomatoes have slightly softened
- Remove from heat into bowl.
- Add pine nuts (toasted pine nuts if you prefer), shaved pecorino, juice from the lemon halves and adjust salt/pepper/chili flakes per your taste!
- Enjoy warm as a side to chicken or fish, or serve cold as an appetizer or a quick lunch/snack.