So this quinoa is truthfully the first quinoa I have ever made in my life. No Joke. I’m not sure why I waited so long to make it, but it really never appealed to me. UNTIL NOW, of course! Oh goodness was this recipe so much better than I had imagined it to be. When I set out to make it, I knew I wanted to give it an Indian spin and pack lots of veggies in it! I’ve seen LOTS of recipes for Mexican quinoa and you guys know I love me some Mexican, so I’ll make that next 🙂
Anyway, this veggie quinoa is especially great to make at the end of the week when you have a ton of veggies left over and need to clean out your fridge, although I swear my refrigerator never seems to get clean!
I had eggplant and zucchini on hand so that’s what I used in this recipe but you could use squash, greens like spinach, mushrooms, okra, and the list goes on and on. Basically, add anything and you can’t go wrong!
Also, I cooked the quinoa in vegetable broth so it would already be flavored before adding it to the vegetables so if you have some on hand I highly recommend doing it this way.
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you have any questions, just comment below! Happy Eating 🙂
Yield 4 Servings
1 small eggplant, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup red onion, diced
2 jalapeños, finely chopped
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 cups quinoa, cooked
2 tbsp oil
- Heat a skillet or wide bottom pot over medium high heat and add oil
- Once oil is hot, add cumin and jalapeños and cook for one minute.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Once onions are cooked, add the eggplant, zucchini, garlic and rest of the spices and salt.
- Stir ingredients well and cover the pot or skillet with a lid and let cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender but still have a little bit of bite.
- Once veggies are cooked, add the quinoa and cilantro. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Serve hot or cold as a side dish, or a main entree!