Ok, this might be the closest to a dessert or baking recipe you see on here but I promise you it’s not just another boring granola recipe. This homemade coconut cardamom granola with almonds sounds really fancy but it uses simple ingredients like rolled oats, honey and sliced almonds. If you’ve got a whole bag of rolled oats in your pantry and don’t know what to do with it, try this recipe! I was amazed the first time I made it- because I thought granola was something that you’re supposed to buy and not something that can easily be made at home! I love that I can control the sweetness of this dish my reducing the amount of honey in it- plus with the addition on warm fragrant spices like cinnamon and cardamom- it really brings some complexity to the granola and you don’t need all the extra sugar!
Why make homemade granola?
Its easy, and most importantly you can control the sugar content. A lot of packaged granola is filled with everything from chocolate chips to dried cranberries and although it tastes delicious, it adds a lot of unnecessary sugar content to a snack or topping that just doesn’t need it.
What if I don’t have coconut or almonds?
If you don’t have shaved coconut slices, you could use frozen grated coconut, or skip this step. Try your best to make this with coconut oil however because that is necessary for the flavor and baking process. If you don’t have sliced almonds, try adding toasted chopped walnuts, pecans or even toasted seeds like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I did! Happy Eating 🙂
Coconut Cardamom Granola with Almonds
Yield 6-8 Servings
- 2 cups rolled old fashion oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup coconut slices, unsweetened
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a large bowl mix together the coconut oil and honey. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and combine well.
- Spread the mixture on to a large rimmed baking sheet and place the tray in the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 25-20 minutes, until the mixture looks golden.
- Remove from oven, let cool and store in an air tight container.
- Enjoy as a snack, sprinkle it on yogurt or in a parfait!