These Indian baked eggs are basically my version of Sakshuka! I like baking this off after its been on the stove because I like the way the eggs set in the oven since I don’t like them super runny. The sauce reminds me of a tomato based curry and tastes especially good soaked up by a soft and flaky naan or paratha! YUM!!
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of baking this or don’t have a pan that you are sure is oven safe, just place a lid on your skillet and wait until the eggs are set to your liking!
Enjoy & as always HAPPY EATING 🙂
Indian Baked Eggs
Yield 4 Servings
1/2 tsp cumin Seeds
1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1tbsp ginger minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 tsp coriander- cumin powder (aka Dhana Jiru i.e. 1 1/2 tsps coriander powder and 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder)
- Pinch of Sugar (cuts acidity of the canned tomatoes) I used about 1/2 tsp
- 5-6 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a large oven safe skillet on medium high heat and add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, and jalapenos and let splatter for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and cook until slightly translucent.
- Add salt to taste, garlic, ginger and cook until the raw smell of garlic has dissappeared.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, pinch of sugar and cover skillet with a lid and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Create wells in the sauce and crack eggs into pan.
- Move pan into oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until eggs are set to your desire.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with toasted bred or flaky paratha/ naan or toasty bread!!