This creamy dreamy corn dip is the one dish I am always summoned to make at family parties. During the summer, I love to use fresh sweet corn but in the winter time, hell with it…frozen corn tastes just as good and cuts the prep time in half which equals wayyyy less mess in the kitchen for you to clean up. The best thing about this dip is you can use it so many different ways. I usually just serve it with some tortilla chips but friends who I’ve shared this recipe with have even used it as a filling for enchiladas! I like everything a little spicy so a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce or topping it off with freshly jalapenos will do the trick.
Corn & Black Bean Dip
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (optional) I prefer this recipe without the beans but if you want to make it heartier you can add beans)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 3 serranos or jalapenos, finely diced
- 8 oz package shredded mexican cheese
- 14.4 oz bag frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 tablespoon sriracha or more to taste
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro chutney (optional but FABULOUS)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt 1 tbsp oil and 2 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the diced serranos/jalapenos and let splutter for a few seconds then add the red and green peppers.
- Add pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, on medium to low heat until the peppers are softened (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until garlic is fragrant but not browned. Lower heat to ensure garlic does not brown.
- Add the corn, spices, and stir to incorporate well. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the corn mix with the spices and soften a bit. Add Black beans (optional), cilantro, siracha, stir and remove from heat. Add mayonnaise, milk, and shredded cheese and mix well.
- Transfer to oven safe baking dish, cover with foil and let bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack until you see the edges of the dip bubbling.
- Remove from oven, top with scallions and serve hot with tortilla chips! If you want to get a golden brown crust on top - add an additional layer of shredded cheese on top and broil on low for a few minutes until the cheese has browned.
Optional: Some pico de gallo or chopped jalapenos makes for a great garnish!