LASAGNA SOUP is totally a thing, guys!! I’m always disappointed by how my lasagna turns out so Im always taking the easy way out- like these Mexican Lasagna Roll Ups– or my Eggplant Parm (which is an AMAZING recipe if you haven’t tried it) and now this soup!! I made it in the Instant Pot because that thing is just sitting in my cabinet begging to be used! Also- Im all for one pot meals these days- because my belly is grown and ya girl is not trying to slave away washing dishes all day.
Can I make this on a stove top without a pressure cooker?
Yes! You can still make this a one pot meal by making it in a dutch oven or large pot. Follow the same instructions and simply cook the pasta in the water by stirring often until it is well done and then add the sauce and follow rest of the ingredients. You can add more water as needed.
I use Rao’s marinara or arrabbiata sauces because I find them to be much less tangy than using canned tomatoes as most IP lasagna soup recipes call for. I trust the ingredients in Rao’s sauces and because they’re already so well seasoned and balanced- its an extra boost in the recipe! Adjust salt as needed since the cheeses, and sauce already have salt you may find you don’t need additional salt.
Make it with meat: I would personally add some ground turkey or sausage in here and you can add this right after the onions and peppers! Or take the easy way out and add in some frozen cooked meatballs at the very end- easy peasy!
Add some veggies: This is a great great soup to add in all those veggies!! Zucchini, peppers, eggplant, spinach, kale etc!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
Yield 4 Servings
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 serranos, diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 medium sized zucchini, diced small (or 2 cups tightly packed spinach leaves)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and tenders items, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth ( I prefer Pacific Foods)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 cups uncooked Mafalda Pasta or Campanelle or Gigli (Or broken Lasagna Noodles)
- 32 oz. Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- red chili flakes and handful fresh basil for garnish
- Set your IP to saute mode and add two tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the serrano chilis and cook for about 15-20 seconds. Add the onions and peppers and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add garlic, and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the zucchini, italian seasoning, water (or broth if using), scallions, cilantro, parsley, bay leaf, uncooked pasta and stir well. Hit cancel on the IP, and switch to high pressure cook mode. Place the lid back on the IP and set it to high pressure cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, manual release the steam and open the Instant Pot.
- Add the arrabiatta sauce, ricotta, and parmesan and stir well. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
- Ladle into individual bowls and top with a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 tablespoon of parmesan and red chili flakes to taste. Garnish with torn fresh basil and enjoy!