Click here to watch me prepare this recipe.
39 weeks pregnant not only means I am waddling around waiting for this baby to come out, it means there are lots and lots of snack breaks. Big meals are too tough to digest at this point in pregnancy so little “tapas” is what I’ve been surviving on. I figure some of you might like some snack recipes too so today I’m sharing these easy masala corn toasts! If you’ve ever been to India and had chili cheese toast- you know how something so damn simple can be so damn good!! I make ALL KINDS of toasts and this is just one of them-I mean…you can put anything on bread and it tastes good right?! Think of this as a cross between the masala corn you get in Indian movie theatres + chili cheese toast!! It’s delicious!
It also works great as an appetizer! You can keep the corn mixture (minus the cheese) prepped ahead of time and then pop them in the oven when you’re ready to serve!
What can you serve this with?
CHUTNEY! Obviously!! Check out the chili garlic chutney and cilantro jalapeno chutney from my Mexican Papdi Chaat Recipe!! They are so versatile and great to drizzle on ANYTHING.
These are great as an appetizer or just a quick lunch/snack!
Want to make it more nutritious?
-Skip the starchy corn and opt for finely chopped veggies like broccoli, asparagus, spinach, and mushrooms!
-Instead of sourdough bread, choose a whole grain loaf or high fiber bagel thin!
-Make this a stuffing in some almond flour or cassava tortillas and you’ve got yourself a quesadilla!
Want to make this for kids?
-Add in as many different veggies as you like, and skip the spice from the chilis- Kids love this with ketchup!
-Let the little ones assemble their own toasts and choose their toppings so they can have fun too!
Masala Corn Toast
Yield 6-8 Toasts
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- serrano chilis or jalapenos, finely sliced (optional based on spice level)
- 1 tsp freshly squeeze lime juice
- 1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
- Sour Dough Bread or bread of your choice
- Set the oven to a low broil.
- Butter the sliced bread and place in the oven on a baking sheet (I used a baking rack but this step is not necessary) and broil on low for 2-3 minutes until just slightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients: bell peppers, corn, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, cheese, all dry seasonings plus a tiny pinch of salt. You can opt to leave the chilis as a topping or mix it in the corn mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon the corn mixture onto each toast. You can pile on as much or as little as you like. If you want more cheese you can top off the toasts with additional cheese as well before placing back in the oven.
- Pop the toasts back in the oven on low broil and set a timer for 3 minutes. Remove the toasts once the cheese has melted and is slightly golden in spots.
- Serve hot ! This can be served with ketchup, hot sauce or your favorite chutney!
[…] sauce, Instant Pot Lasagna soup and black bean soup with avocado salsa, Masala fried rice, Masala corn toast and more. I’m definitely a fan! What I love most about cooking is knowing the time spent […]
Can I refrigerate the mixture to use the next day?
So super delicious!! Thank you Palak!