It is true that cooking Mexican Inspired dishes, is probably what I do best. I grew up eating my mom and my masi’s (masi = mom’s sister) versions of their favorite Mexican restaurant dishes at home and I’ve been obsessed ever since. They would whip up everything from chimichangas, to salsas which always tasted more like chutney (lol!). What they did best though, was take flavors from the original versions and find ways to update them with more flavorful masalas and complementary ingredients like cumin, cilantro and an assortment of peppers. Of course, we always added a ton more spice to these dishes as well. Seriously, serranos and jalapenos went into everything.
My recipes, like theirs, are nowhere close to “authentic Mexican” food. They are however, reminiscent of the delicious versions I grew up eating and have since updated with my own twists. This Mexican pizza or taco pizza, is one of the very few things my mom has ME make for HER. I will be sharing a lot more of my favorite Indian/Mexican recipes but this one is one of my all-time favorites.
I use a ready-made pizza crust from Stonefire that I really love! Their crust gets nice and crispy in the oven and is just the right thickness for all the toppings that get loaded on. Plus, it just saves me a lot of time. You could also use your own pizza dough recipe or a refrigerated version as well! I’ve used the Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough and made this pizza in a sheet pan before too. You can also use pitas as a base or small naan for individual size pizzas!
I do have one request, if you are going to make this pizza, do NOT ..under ANY circumstance skip the sauce! The Cilantro Jalapeño Sauce is a #chutenylife cult favorite and it truly adds a ton of flavor to this pizza!
How to Prep this Pizza Ahead:
1. The beans and cilantro jalapeño sauce can be made a day or two before and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Just be sure to heat up the beans on the stove well before serving.
2. A day before you can chop all of the toppings for the pizza like scallions, jalapeños, onions and tomatoes! Or do it earlier in the day and keep it refrigerated until ready to serve
What Can I serve with this pizza?
I love serving this pizza with my Mexican Inspired Rice and Beans made in the Instant Pot! I just leave the beans out in the rice since this pizza is bean heavy! It pairs together super well!
How to Make A Crispier Pizza Crust?
If you’re using ready made and cooked pizza dough, just simply brush it with some olive oil and place it directly on your oven rack for about 6-7 minutes to get crisp. Then take it out, top with the beans and cheese and place it back in the oven !
If you’re using fresh or store bought uncooked pizza dough, roll out the dough and place on a floured baking sheet and bake in the oven until it is fully cooked. Remove from oven and add the toppings and place back in the oven for a few minutes. Make sure your beans are already hot so you just need the heat in the oven to help melt the cheese!
I topped my pizza with sliced avocado, shredded lettuce and pico de gallo which added the perfect butter creaminess to the pizza, especially against the bright and zesty cilantro sauce!
If you have any questions about the recipe or substitutions, comment below and I will reply lighting fast!
Happy Eating ! 🙂
Taco Pizza with Cilantro Jalapeño Sauce
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced small
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced small
1/2 cup onion, diced smal
2 serrano peppers, diced small
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup shredded mexican blend cheeses (cheddar & jack)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 cup lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup salsa
Garnishes: Sliced avocado, olives, pico de gallo, sliced jalapenos
Place the following in a food processor and blend until smooth.
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Jalapeno Cilantro Sauce
Combine the following in a blender or food processor:
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 garlic clove
squeeze fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. For an extra crispy pizza crust, place the crust on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes and then remove from oven and set aside until ready to bake again.
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil. Once hot add cumin seeds and serranos and let splutter for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Add onion, bell peppers, cilantro and stir continuously until onions and peppers have softened. Once the peppers have softened, lower the heat and add the taco seasoning, turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder and chili powder. Stir continuously so spices do not burn.
- Add beans (drained & rinsed), taco seasoning, chili powder, hot sauce and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a hand blender, blend the beans until they are smooth and creamy. ( You can also use a potato masher to mash them or transfer them to a food processor).
- Place the pizza crust on a non stick perforated pizza pan (or follow directions if using fresh dough).
- Spread the beans mixture onto the crust evenly.
- Top with shredded cheese, sliced green onions and bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden on the edges.
- Remove from oven, top with lettuce, drizzle with Jalapeño sauce and garnish with sliced avocado, pico de gallo, hot sauce etc!