Today, in honor of the Superbowl I am kicking off my FIVE DAYS OF FOOTBALL series!! I’ am by no means a football fanatic but I do love game day FOOD (I love any kind of food really). Therefore, everyday this week I will be posting some of my favorite recipes for the big day, so be sure to check back regularly! If you have questions on substitutions or are unsure about ingredients, just comment on the post and I will be glad to help!
First up are TACO CUPS! Sometimes game day food is SO MUCH MEAT- which makes these vegetarian friendly taco cups an absolutely perfect addition for your guests to enjoy! Plus, the heartiness of the beans is so filling that even meat lovers will be obsessed. The sweet chipotle sour cream is sooooo good with these- I drizzled it all over the cups and then kept spooning more on to each bite- god, I love me some sour cream.
If you don’t want to use three different types of beans you could certainly just stick to one or two varietes, whatever your heart desires.
Want to prep ahead of time?
- Make the bean mixture the night before and refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble them.
- Make the chipotle sour cream unto 2 days ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Cut the tortillas up to three days ahead of time and keep them sealed in a ziplock bag until ready to use!
Three Bean Taco Cups
Yield 20 Taco Cups
1 can pinto beans (15.5 oz can)
1 can small red kidney beans (15.5 oz can)
1 can black beans (15.5 oz can)
1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
1 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
1.5 cups shredded cheese (monterey jack, pepper jack or cheddar)
20 Flour Tortillas
Salt to taste
Chipotle Sour Cream:
1 tbsp Chipotle Pepper in adobo
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
Sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes, diced olives, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients (minus the tortillas) in a large bowl reserving 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Cut the tortillas into rounds measuring about 4.5 inches in diameter (If using the small taco size tortilla). You can do this by placing a small bowl upside down on the tortilla and cutting around it. If you have large burrito size tortillas- cut each tortilla into 4 quarters.
- Grease a muffin pan using non stick cooking spray or brush with oil and gently press the tortilla rounds into the cups, pinching the edges along the sides. TIP: make sure the tortillas are room temperature so they are more pliable and easier to mold into the muffin pan.
- Lightly brush the tortillas with oil or cooking spray and bake for about 8 minutes on the middle rack until slightly golden.
- Remove cups from oven, add bean mixture to the cups, top with cheese and bake again in the oven until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from oven, drizzle with sweet chipotle sour cream, and enjoy!
Chipotle Sour Cream:
Combine all ingredients in food processor. Keep refrigerated until serving.