Tostadas with Smashed Black Beans, Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Chipotle Lime Slaw
Yield 4-6 Servings
For the Potatoes:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Beans:
1.5 tbsp oil
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup diced bell peppers (mix of green and red)
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp taco seasonin
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup water
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
2 cups shredded cabbage mix
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp sauce from canned chipotle in adobo
1/2 lime squeezed
1/2 cup finely chopped cialntro
2 tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil and seasonings listed and toss well. Lay out on a large baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes or until fork tender and slightly browned. Set aside once done.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a small pot on medium high heat and add oil. Add jalapeño and peppers and let them cook until slightly soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add dry seasonings and continue to cook until the seasonings begin to look clumpy and pot seems dry. Add black beans and 1/4 cup water, stir for a few minutes on medium heat. Using a potato masher, slightly mash the beans until you have a thick consistency but not completely pureed and smooth. Taste for salt and remove from heat.
- In a small chopper, or food processor combine all of the ingredients for the slaw except for the cabbage. Place the cabbage in a bowl and add spoonfuls of the sauce until you get a wet slaw. You should have plenty of leftover sauce to use for drizzling on top or for making more slaw as needed. Making too much slaw at one time will result in a soggy slaw so work in batches.
- Assemble the tostadas by first layering a few spoonfuls of the black bean mash, topping it with sweet potato and then lastly the slaw.
- Garnish with pomegranate, a salty cheese like queso fresco or feta, sliced jalapeño, and radishes.
- If you don't have tostada shells these can be made into tacos.