You guys should know by now that I can make (and eat) spaghetti a million different ways. Hangover spaghetti, Haryali Spaghetti, Thai Curry Spaghetti and today Creamy Cajun Spaghetti!! I am so excited about this because it’s a recipe I swear by at home and have made many many times. It’s salty, creamy, spicy and I love the cajun and old bay seasoning in here ! I usually love to make this with peas but didn’t have any so I used tuscan kale because it pairs so well with robust and garlicky flavors and it can really hold up to a heavy dish! The kale still has bite and doesn’t wilt like spinach or other greens would normally do. If you make it, you gotta tag me on @thechutneylife so I can see your wonderful creations!
Make it Vegan:
If you want to make this recipe vegan, omit the butter cheese and heavy cream. Instead you can use coconut milk + nutritional yeast!
Make it Healthier:
- Replace the Spaghetti with whole wheat or brown rice spaghetti. You could also use zoodles instead!
- Reduce the amount of pasta by half and instead add in more veggies like peas, peppers, mushrooms, and more kale!
- If you want to cut the dairy, you can reduce it by half and make up for it by using vegetable broth instead!
Creamy Cajun Spaghetti with Tuscan Kale
- 1/2 Box thin spaghetti (about 8 oz)
- 1.5 cups tuscan kale also known as Lacinato Kale, chopped into ribbons (middle stem/rib removed)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Boil the pasta according to package directions, preferable until al dente as it will continue to cook in the sauce. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large wide skillet heat the oil and butter on medium heat. Once it is hot, add the sliced peppers and saute until slightly soft.
- Add the minced garlic, and saute for just a few minutes until fragrant but not brown. Reduce the heat.
- Next, add the old bay, cajun seasoning, salt, black pepper, paprkina, chili flakes and tomato paste and continue to stir on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the kale and stir for a few more minutes.
- Now add the heavy cream, stir so the spices are all incorporated evenly in a sauce. Bring the sauce to a slow simmer. Once it is at a slow simmer, add the pasta, turn off the heat and on top of the pasta add the parmesan cheese. Use tongs to mix everything thoroughly. Let sit for 1-2 minutes and sauce will thicken. Garnish with fresh parsley, additional parmesan and serve hot!