Spring has sprung and I’m all for one pot meals that are satisfying and easy to make on a weeknight. This Creamy Orzo Soup with White Beans and Potatoes is hearty yet light and it’s packed with so much flavor like garlic, paprika and thyme!
How Can I prep in advance for this recipe:
The following prep work can be done the day before you make this soup:
- Peel and grate the garlic (you can peel the garlic even a few days ahead)
- Chop the onions, celery and carrots and keep in an air tight container in the refrigerator
- Combine all of the spices in a small container or reusable baggy so you’re not reaching for a ton of jars while making this
Whats in this recipe?
Orzo- in the pasta family, this is a small rice shaped pasta that is perfect for soups and salads due to its tiny size and buttery finish.It melts in your mouth!
Lots of spices- I’ve added seasonings like garlic powder, dried thyme (don’t skip this!), onion powder and of course just a touch of cumin and garam masala because it goes so well with carrots, potatoes and white beans!
Red Potatoes- I love these for their texture and creaminess and it’s what makes this soup hearty enough to be a stand alone meal!
Vegetable Stock- you can use homemade stock but I love a high quality option like Pacific Foods or Bonafide as well!
Grated Parmesan- NEVER from the bottle in the pasta aisle, please please! Grab a block of fresh parmesan and grate it OR grab some freshly grated from the cheese section of your local grocery store.
What else can I add to this recipe?
- Chopped zucchini or bell peppers would work well and not alter the taste!
- spinach or kale (toss it in at the very end for a boost of greens!)
- a pinch of red chili flakes for some additional spiciness
What tools do I need for this recipe?
- A great knife like this Global Vegetable Knife for chopping
- An Instant Pot
- A mini chopper to prep minced garlic in large batches or a microplane
What other Instant Pot Recipes do you have?
Creamy Orzo and White Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely minced or grated
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 15 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- small squeeze of lemon juice
- Optional garnishes: shaved parmesan & finely chopped parsley
- Turn your Instant Pot onto saute mode and once its hot add the oil. Follow with the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. Next add all of the ingredients listed up until the heavy cream. Stir well and switch the Instant Pot to High pressure cook mode and set it for 8 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot has completed high pressure cook mode, quick release and set the instant pot to the keep warm mode. Pour in the heavy cream, parmesan, beans, parsley and a small squeeze of lemon juice. Stir well and turn off the Instant Pot. The soup will slightly thicken as it sits.
- Divide into bowls and serve hot with additional shaved parmesan and sprinkle of parsley for garnish.
Leave A Comment