I LOVE puff pastry and I love broccoli cheddar soup so these turnovers were obviously the perfect match for me! The rich creamy cheddar broccoli filling is perfect with the flaky buttery puff pastry and I could legit not stop eating these.
They’re quite simple to whip up if you keep some puff pastry on hand- which is a great freezer staple! Be sure to serve these hot because its the best way to enjoy them and if you’re making them for a crowd you could easily make the filling a day before and then just bring it to room temperature before you bake them off!
Hope you all enjoy this recipe! Happy Eating <3
Broccoli Cheddar Puff Pastry Turnovers
Yield 6-8 Turnovers
1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets and steamed until fork tender
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cloves fresh garlic, grated
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper finely diced
2 cups Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Sharp Cheddar
1 box Puff Pastry Sheets
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry until it is soft and bendable.
- Roughly chop the steamed broccoli into small bite size pieces and set aside to let it cool.
- In a small bowl add the cream cheese with the rest of the ingredients except the cheese and combine well.
- Gently fold the broccoli into the cream cheese being careful not to over mix and break the broccoli up too much. Gently fold in the cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, lay out the large puff pastry sheet and cut it into 4 squares. Place 2-3 tbsp of the broccoli cheddar mix into the middle of each square and fold over into a triangle/turn over shape.
- Use a fork to press down a long the edges and seal the puff pastry. Do this until you have 8 turnovers.
- Mix one egg +1 tbsp water and whisk it well. Use a brush and lightly top each turnover with the egg wash,
- Gently pierce the top of the puff pastry a couple of times with a fork to help let steam release and place on a lightly greased baking tray and place in the oven. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes until puff pastry is golden and cooked all the way through.
- Serve hot!!