I have been obsessed with fried rice as of lately – or any kind of rice at all. It can be a meal, a side and a great way to use up whatever veggies you have in your fridge. I usually have my Mexican Rice or my Masala Fried Rice recipe on repeat but I was getting tired of those flavors and wanted something a little different. Shiitake mushrooms are in season and SO DAMN GOOD right now, y’all. Like I don’t know why I ever ate any other type of mushroom, ever. At a glance this rice doesn’t have a ton of seasonings at all, but the nuttiness of the brown rice, with the spice and tang form kimchi and the crunch from veggies- all is so perfect together! I use brown rice in this recipe but jasmine would work great too! It’s perfect for meal prep or an easy weeknight recipe! If you want to make life even easier- grab some organic frozen brown rice from Trader Joes and you can cut a lot of your work and prep time in half!
As always, happy eating <3
Brown Rice with Shiitake Mushrooms, Bok Choy & Kimchi
Yield 3-4 Servings
- 3.5 oz box shiitake mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 bunches baby bok choy chopped (cut off bottom 1-2 inch hard stems)
- 1 cup sliced red bell peppers (cut into short strips)
- 2-3 tbs oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add the carrots, mushrooms, and red peppers and saute until mushrooms release their liquid and are fork tender. Add the bok choy, garlic, ginger, chili flakes and continue to stir until peppers have slightly softened and bok choy has wilted.
- Add the cooked brown rice, kimchi and stir well. Taste for salt and add as needed. (Kimchi has salt so rice may not need it).
- Top with scallions, and enjoy hot! Add a drizzle of siracha for more heat!
Leave A Comment