Hello loves 🙂 Today I’m sharing a quick and easy chana masala wrap that makes for a easy weeknight dinner thanks to canned chickpeas and frozen paratha (#winning)! My mom makes amazing chana masala/chole bhature but it involves a lot of prepping like blending onions and fresh tomatoes. SO, to make this a bit quicker, I use diced onions and tomato paste (so you don’t have to wash an applianc ! lol)
If you’re making this for the kiddos- it tastes great with a slice of cheese in it!! You can also add in some veggies like chopped up spinach! I served it with some fresh sliced onion and a little squeeze of lemon! I used canned chickpeas but of course you can use fresh- and if you’re talented you can make some homemade paratha! These would also be delicious in a naan! I also let these cook until the gravy is thickened because if there is too much gravy-they’ll soak right through and make the paratha super soggy!
Hope you guys like this recipe!
Chana Masala Paratha Wraps
Yield 3-4 Wraps
1 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 serrano, diced finely
1 tbsp minced garlic
1.5 tbsp Badshah Punjabi Chole Masala
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 cup water
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
1 package frozen paratha
- Heat a large skillet or pot over medium high heat and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaf and serrano chilis. Let splutter and then add onion and salt.
- Cook onions until slightly browned and then add garlic, tomato paste and rest of the spices. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes and then add in water and bring to a simmer.
- Add in chickpeas and cook for about 6-8 minutes covered. Remove cover and using a potato masher, gently smash just the chickpeas just a few times (will help thicken the gravy). If gravy is too liquidy- let it simmer uncovered to let it thicken.
- Add in cilantro, stir (taste to check for salt) and place inside of a paratha wrap.
- Serve hot!
I like your recipe and I live in the Caribbean…where can I find
(Badshah Punjabi Chole Masala) or what is it made of.
This looks insanely delicious! Yrying it out tomorrow! Love your blog missy!
Thank You! 🙂
Looks great! Which brand of Garam Masala do you use in your recipes?
Hey! I use one that my MIL gets from India- its specially made. sorry 🙁
Ive been trying to find a good store bought version but haven’t been completely happy with many of the ones I’ve tried.
Am I able to use paav bhaji masala if I don’t have chole masala?
Hey! you could definitely try- but will change the flavor.
I made this for my family this evening and was a hit! My husband recommended I make it for my MIL to impress her and my son ate 1.5 parathas! Thank you for the recipe and look forward to trying more of your stuff! Xoxo
Hey, what brand of parathas do you use?
Hey Janki! I use Kawan Brand parathas! They can be found at almost any Indian grocery store.
Dude! I haven’t even made this but it looks so mouthwatering! I am so excited! My only issue in making Chana is my husband complains chick peas are too hard- I will def mash- I also used canned chick peas