Hope everyone has had a fantastic weekend! Mine was super relaxing so no complaints here! Todays recipe is going to totally make it in to your weeknight meal routine.
To be honest, I’ve been on a mission to make DELICIOUS but HEALTHY dishes for the past few months now. Im not on a mission to lose weight or anything but just trying to be more conscious of the ingredients I am fueling my body and mind with. So when I mean healthy, I really mean nutritious. These kebab pitas area especially great because you can add so many different veggies as toppings (especially for a great crunch factor) like shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, cucumbers, carrots, peppers etc. Considering all these toppings are raw, you get to reap the benefits of all the vitamins and minerals that sometimes get lost during the cooking process.
After making these kebabs, I couldn’t stop myself from making a sauce for them (Im a sauce girl, what can I say). HOWEVER, You’l be proud to know that I held myself back from loading on the mayo in my sauce recipe and decided to use yogurt instead! What I came up with- cucumber tahini yogurt sauce- is perfection. Its nutty, spicy and bright! It adds just the right amount of tang against the garlicky kebabs. I kept a jar of the left overs in my fridge and I’m determined to find more ways to use it!
If you want to make this low carb friendly, skip the pitas and just have the kebabs, some fresh chopped up veggies, and obviouslyyy the sauce!
If you’re a vegetarian, I think roasting sweet potatoes, cauliflower and red peppers with some evoo, salt pepper and a little paprika would be really good with this! I promise I’ll post another vegetarian version soon for my veggies out there but hope this helps in the mean time 🙂
Chicken Kebab Pita's w/ Cucumber Tahini Yogurt
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, chopped in small cubes
- 5 green onion stems
- 1/2 yellow or white onion
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Cucumber Tahini Yogurt, combine the following in a blender or food processor:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
Veggies for topping: shredded red cabbage, sliced cucumbers, carrots, radishes etc.
- Combine marinade with chicken pieces and let sit over night or 4-6 hours refrigerated.Add the onion, garlic, basil, parsley, green onions, lemon juice, salt, pepper and canola oil to blender and combine until smooth puree.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.Take chicken pieces and thread onto skewers or lay flat on an oven proof baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, rotating pan half way through the baking time. If using skewers, flip the skewers when rotating the pan.
- Remove kebabs from skewers, lay on pitas and drizzle with cucumber tahini yogurt. Serve warm & enjoy!!
Leave A Comment