One Pot Creamy Parmesan Orzo
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1-2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a large non stick pot or dutch oven heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook until almost translucent. Add the zucchini, saute for a few minutes and then add the garlic with a pinch of salt. Turn the heat down to ensure garlic does not burn.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the orzo and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, 1 cup of milk, and bring to a slow simmer. Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to low. Let the orzo cook covered for about 10 minutes quickly checking once or twice to make sure the orzo is not sticking.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and continue to cook the orzo by adding the remainder of the milk in slow batches, stirring continuously after each addition. Add more milk if necessary to achieve a creamy orzo.
- Once the orzo is cooked, add black pepper, parmesan cheese, parsley and stir well.
- Serve warm and enjoy!