What does Haryali mean?Haryali translates to “green” and you’ll see recipes for Haryali Chicken, Haryali Paneer etc and most of these use a combination of cilantro, spinach, mint or other green herbs. The flavors really work together well and are vibrant and delicious! C
Cooked or Uncooked rice?Because this is a “fried rice” recipe it uses leftover cooked rice. I’m using basmati rice but it would work well with any sort of rice you have.
What kind of blender should I use for the chutney cilantro mixture?Anything that blends wet ingredients into a smooth paste/sauce will be fine. I use the small cup attachment on my Vitamix blender .
Haryali Fried Rice with Corn
Yield 4 Servings
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced into small short strips
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, diced small
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 tbsp oil
Blend the following until smooth. Add water in 1-2 tbsp enough to get the blender going.
2 cups spinach loosely packed
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, cut into chunks
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for a few seconds. Add the serrano/jalapeno and continue to cook. Add the scallions and and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced onion, and cook until they are softened (about 4-5 minutes). Add the bell peppers and continue to cook until they are soft but still crisp.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add corn , dry spices, few spoons of chutney and stir well.
- Add the rice and stir well. Add more chutney if necessary. You want the rice to be coated well with the chutney but do not add too much that the rice becomes too wet and liquidy. If it looks too wet, continue to simmer the rice so the liquid evaporates.
- Adjust salt to taste, top with more cilantro as a garnish and enjoy hot!