Instant Pot Shredded Tandoori Chicken
Yield 4 Servings
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut roughly into thirds
2/3 cup full fat whole milk yogurt
1 small onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1.5 tbsp Swad Tandoori Masala
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp coriander/cumin powder
2 serrano chilis
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chili powder
1 bay leaf
1 black cardamom
1 small 1/2 inch piece cinnamon
2 tbsp finely minced garlic
1 tbsp finely minced ginger
1/2 lime squeezed
1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp oil
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute mode and add oil. Once oil is hot add the serrano chilis and cumin seeds and let splutter for about 30 seconds. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom pod stirring constantly so the spices do not burn but are just golden and aromatic, about another 30 seconds or so.
- Add in the sliced onions and peppers and continue to stir. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining dry spices to the pot and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Hit "cancel" on the Instant Pot and the chicken and yogurt to the pot- using your spatula to lift up any browned spices at the bottom of the pot. Mix well and set the Instant Pot to "Pressure Cook" mode and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes and let natural release.
- Open the lid, add in the squeeze of lime and cilantro, mix well.
- Use two forks or clean hands to shred the chicken. As the chicken gets shredded and sits in the pot it will absorb additional liquid in the pot. If it is too much liquid turn on the saute mode and let some of the liquid evaporate. If you want more liquid- you can still add more yogurt or splash of chicken broth and saute on low mode for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with side of salad and rice, use it as a filling for sliders, or top it on a flatbread. It is very versatile.