Spicy Peanut Ramen
- 1/2 cup kimchi roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1.5 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 serrano chili, sliced thinly (or less or more on spice preference)
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar or miring
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely sliced (white and pale green parts separated from darker green parts)
- 3 tbsp gochujang paste
- 5 oz package curly noodles, cooked according to packet directions
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the scallion whites, serrano pepper, ginger, and garlic. (the garlic/ginger will stick if heat is too high). Keep the heat low enough so you can continue to stir and cook the garlic and ginger without it sticking.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are soft.
- Add kimchi, and gochujang paste and continue stirring for a few minutes until the gochujang looks like it's going to start sticking. Add the broth, cilantro, peanut butter, and stir well to incorporate all of the items. Bring to a slow simmer and let simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup is slightly reduced.
- Add the remaining scallions, add the noodles, stir well and serve hot! You can serve with tiny dash of toasted sesame oil or chili oil for additional flavor and spice.