I know soups can be more of a fall thing than a spring thing but can we agree that ONE POT meals are definitely necessary for warmer months?! I for one do not want to be indoors all day slaving away in the kitchen so I’m game for anything that saves me time and is still satisfying!
This Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Soup meets all of my requirements at the moment! It’s bright, light and so delicious! Oh and it tastes even better the next day as leftovers! Tomatillos can be found almost at any grocery store these days – and are so much fun to cook with- I love their green color and tangy taste! Just make sure you remove their outer papery husks and wash them well with a brush to get all the stickiness off!
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 Large Onion quartered
- 8 tomatillos, halved
- 4 jalapenos halved
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2.5 cups cilantro, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5lbs chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Set the oven to broil on high.
- Place the onions, tomatillos and jalapenos on a large baking sheet. Lightly brush everything with oil and then set in the oven in the middle rack. Broil until the tomattilos and onions begin to get soft and blistered.
- Scoop everything from the baking sheet, including the juices and place into a blender. Add in the 2 cups of cilantro, cumin powder, 2 cloves garlic and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot on saute mode and add 2 tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let splutter. Add in garlic, and continue to stir so the garlic does not burn.
- Add in the salsa verde, chicken broth, chicken, scallions and stir well. Turn off the saute mode and set the instant pot to pressure cook mode on high for 10 minutes. Let natural release.
- Open the instant pot and using two forks- begin to shred the chicken. As you shred the chicken and let it sit, more of the liquid will begin to get soaked up. If you want a more soup like consistency, add broth and set the instant pot mode to saute again for a few minutes. Taste for salt. Soup should be slightly tangy and bright!
- Lastly, right before serving, add in the lime juice, cotija cheese and additional cilantro for garnish.
- You can also serve with sliced avocados, radishes, sliced red onion, tortilla chips etc.