Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 Large Onion quartered
- 8 tomatillos, halved
- 4 jalapenos halved
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2.5 cups cilantro, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5lbs chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Set the oven to broil on high.
- Place the onions, tomatillos and jalapenos on a large baking sheet. Lightly brush everything with oil and then set in the oven in the middle rack. Broil until the tomattilos and onions begin to get soft and blistered.
- Scoop everything from the baking sheet, including the juices and place into a blender. Add in the 2 cups of cilantro, cumin powder, 2 cloves garlic and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot on saute mode and add 2 tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let splutter. Add in garlic, and continue to stir so the garlic does not burn.
- Add in the salsa verde, chicken broth, chicken, scallions and stir well. Turn off the saute mode and set the instant pot to pressure cook mode on high for 10 minutes. Let natural release.
- Open the instant pot and using two forks- begin to shred the chicken. As you shred the chicken and let it sit, more of the liquid will begin to get soaked up. If you want a more soup like consistency, add broth and set the instant pot mode to saute again for a few minutes. Taste for salt. Soup should be slightly tangy and bright!
- Lastly, right before serving, add in the lime juice, cotija cheese and additional cilantro for garnish.
- You can also serve with sliced avocados, radishes, sliced red onion, tortilla chips etc.