It’s been a while since I’ve shared a good stick to your bones kind of PASTA recipe. Many of you have been asking for healthy vegetarian dishes lately but I decided to spoil you guys today with some creamy dreamy rigatoni!! I love creamy pasta sauces and especially ones with the “blush” color. Many creamy pasta sauces call for heavy cream but I lightened this up by mixing vegetable broth and half & half for the sauce. The sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms add such a wonderful earthy flavor and stand up great next to the rigidness of the rigatoni. I wanted to add spinach to this recipe as well, but I didn’t have any and I was too lazy to go get some. So if you have spinach, please throw in a few handfuls!
I love trying artisan pasta ( any kind of pasta really) and found this at my local farm, Shady Brook Farm! This Rigatoni from Vera Pasta had flavor and serious BITE ( pasta should ALWAYS be al dente!) If you are used to buying the same old pasta from your grocery store, step out of the box and try something a little different with this recipe, it will totally be worth it!
Sun Dried Tomato & Mushroom Rigatoni
Yield 4 Servings
12 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 lb. rigatoni pasta ( Reserve 1 cup pasta water)
1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Half & Half (warmed to room temp in the microwave)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil (drained and julienned)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tsp chili flakes (omit if you don't like spice)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
- Boil the pasta according to package directions (al dente please!)
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tbsp butter until foamy.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour and continue to stir mushrooms until the flour becomes golden in color. (this will be clumpy but do not worry!)
- Add chicken broth, half and half, chili flakes, sun dried tomatoes, paprika, and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer over medium/low heat until sauce has slightly thickened (about 6-8 minutes)
- Toss Rigatoni into the sauce, add balsamic vinegar and a splash of pasta water as needed if sauce is too thick.
- Add parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese and mix well. Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Mix well and Serve HOT with fresh torn basil and extra parmesan or mozzarella cheese!
OPTIONAL: Transfer this to an oven safe baking dish, top with extra mozzarella cheese and put on broil for 4-5 minutes to get the top nice and browned! You can also use fontina, pecorino or asiago instead of the parmesan cheese!
Courses Dinner, Lunch
Leave A Comment