Hello you wonderful people! Today I’m sharing with you guys a recipe I make all the time. I initially came up with this recipe because my father in law loves salmon and he wanted to incorporate some healthier meals into his weekly routine of gujarati food. I probably make it just a WEE bit different every time but it ALWAYS turns out just as good!
Real “tandoori” dishes are made in an actual tandoor (clay oven), which cooks meats to the most perfect tenderness while lending a slightly smoky flavor. I don’t make this Salmon in the tandoor (since I don’t have one obvss) but it still delivers all that great flavor!
Side Note: Someone get me a a Tandoor PLEASE. k. thanks.
If you follow me on Instagram, you must have read about the “special” ingredient I promised to share with you all. My best friend, who is a chef, introduced me to this Swad Tandoori Masalaa couple of years ago and I have been HOOKED ever since. You can find it at your local Indian grocery store or buy it here: http://store.patelbros.com/swad-tandoori-masala/:
If you grew up in an Indian household you know how brand specific our parents can be when it comes to spices. You can buy five different tandoori masalas and each and everyone will be different. This one however, adds great color and flavor and never disappoints.
This tandoori salmon can be served as lunch, dinner or even as an appetizer when you are entertaining. You can also bake this in the oven to make it even healthier!
3 Salmon Filets (about 6 oz. each)
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 Bay Leaf
1 Star Anise
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoons minced ginger
1/2 red onion, medium diced
1/2 red bell pepper, medium diced
1/2 green bell pepper, medium diced
1 teaspoon Swad Tandoori Masala
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, squeezed
1/3 cup plain yogurt, full fat
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon Swad Tandoori Masala
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic pwder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons fennel powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt to Taste.
- Check salmon for any bones. Rinse with lemon juice and pat dry. Season both sides with salt & pepper.
- In a shallow dish or bowl combine all of the marinade ingredients and mix well. Add salmon and gently rub marinade into salmon filets.
- In a medium size pot, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, star anise and peppercorns.
- Once the spices sizzle, add onions & peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger and tandoori masala. Continue to stir over medium heat.
- Add salmon filets to the pot, laying them on top of the onions and peppers. Add all of the yogurt marinade to the pot as well.
- Cover pot with a lid and let cook on medium/low heat for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, check for doneness and add chopped cilantro and squeeze of fresh lime. Check taste for salt or additional spice.
- Serve hot with rice, naan or enjoy by itself!
What would you recommend I replace the swat masala with if I don’t have that spice on hand?
Hi I really want to try this recipe, I follow you on Instagram. But my concern is using yogurt for marinating the fish .. I always heard not to mix fish and yogurt … Would like to know your take on this?
Hi Jayashri! I’ve always used yogurt to marinate fish and there is nothing wrong with it! Just try it out, promise its delicious!
This was delicious! Thank you for the recipe!