I LOVE noodles and I realized I just do not share enough NOODLES on this blog of mine. So today I am hittin y’all with this Tom Yum Ramen Noodle Soup. I’ve had this Maesri Tom Yum Paste sitting in my pantry forever (one of the million random things I bought from the Asian grocery store) so I decided to do something with it and that is how this recipe came about. Im all about home made, from scratch recipes but Asian recipe require lots of steps/ingredients and I’m always looking for quality products that cut down on time/effort but still deliver in flavor. Maesri is one of my GO TO brands for thai inspired recipes. I did a cooking class once with a Thai instructor and she told me this is the brand many restaurants also use. It’s readily available on Amazon as well and the ingredients listed are all REAL. So we can all feel good about this 🙂
If you have an Asian grocer near you, try to get your hands on some FRESH noodles! I used dry ones because H-Mart is like 30 minutes from me and I get SO overwhelmed in there. Im always trying to buy items with labels that are NOT in english because I think they are more authentic this way lol. Therefore I spend hours googling and figuring out what the hell it really is. So unless I got a few hours to kill, I avoid that place! 😉
Anyhow, you could also try this with some zucchini noodles if you want to cut the carbs and of course add some veggies if you like! I kept this as simple as possible. You might catch a glimpse of some coconut milk in my pictures, but I didn’t add any in the soup. However, I think it would be DELISH if I did.
Like always, play around with the recipe and add in more or less of the flavors you do/don’t like!
Happy Eating ! 🙂
Tom Yum Ramen Noodle Soup
Yield 2-3 Servings
- 2tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp Maesri Tom Yum Paste
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 5 oz. Ramen Noodles (cooked according to package directions)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger and stir for few minutes until fragrant but not browned.
- Add tom yum paste and continue to cook for about 4-5 minutes until the paste has slightly deepened in color.
- Add broth, water, salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and add soy sauce, scallions, cilantro and cooked ramen noodles. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. (Noodles will soak up some of the liquid so add more water/broth and tom yum paste as needed.)
- Serve hot, with toasted sesame seeds on top and more sliced scallions/cilantro.
Optional Variations: Use Zucchini Noodles, Soba Noodles, Whole Wheat Spaghetti and add your choice of vegetables like mushrooms.
- For a creamier version, add 1-2 tbsp of coconut milk
- For added protein, top off with a fried egg/soft boiled egg.
- For more heat drizzle with chili oil or chili flakes
- For meat lovers- top off with some chicken, shrimp or pork
- For a gluten-free version use Zucchini noodles or chickpea pasta