This recipe is a true example of how the right minimal ingredients can come together for a truly complex and flavorful meal that is both satisfying different. I leaned in on bold flavors like spicy smoky Harissa and creamy tart Feta to make this pasta comforting with every bite! I tossed in a handful of spinach but feel free to swap it with some kale or arugula and if you’re not a fan of eggplant, roasted zucchini and eggplant would work great in this recipe!
It’s a great meal to make and keep in the fridge for a quick lunch, serve as a side to a protein or double up on the veggies and enjoy as a nutritious and hearty lunch or dinner!
Hope you enjoy this recipe and if you make it, be sure to tag me on @thechutneylife!
Harissa & Feta Pasta with Roasted Eggplant
- 8 oz penne pasta, cooked according to package directions (reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid from pasta)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1.5 lb eggplant, diced into 1.5 inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Harissa Sauce like Mina Harissa
- 8 oz block of good quality feta like Athenos feta
- 5 oz package of spinach leaves (about 4 cups tightly packed), roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped herbs (basil, parsley, cilantro, etc)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid when draining the cooked pasta. Set aside pasta and pasta water.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl toss the cubed eggplant with 2 tbsp of olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp garlic powder and toss with your hands to combine well. (eggplant soaks up oil fast so it’s best to add the olive oil in batches and toss well after each addition until you’ve used up all the olive oil).
- Transfer the eggplant to two large rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper. This will give all the pieces of eggplant space to caramelize.
- Place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the eggplant is fork tender and browned in spots, flipping halfway through.
- While the eggplant cooks, heat a large skillet with tall sides over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil along with 10 oz cherry tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes for about 5-6 minutes on medium heat, using the spatula to smash some of the tomatoes so they are saucy.
- Add the harissa, feta, pasta, ½ cup pasta water and stir well to combine and allow the feta to melt (its ok if some of it is still crumbled and not completely melted). Next Add the spinach in batches, allowing it to wilt into the pasta after each addition.
- Add the eggplant and fresh herbs to the pot and mix gently or serve the eggplant plated on top of the penne. ENjoy!
Leave A Comment