This Khichdi has a special place in my heart like most of my mom’s recipes! I ate this ALOT with my masi’s garlic chutney while I was pregnant and now its an absolute staple for Shaan as well. I find myself making this often when he’s been fussy with meal time and I need that satisfaction of knowing I got something hearty into his little belly (I pack in EXTRA ghee). This khichdi tastes BEST when its hot and fresh so I suggest eating it soon and if you do have leftovers, you can heat it up in the microwave with a wet paper towel on top and then add in a little water as well to loosen it up.
Variations for Khichdi:
- Sub the toor dal for other lentils- you can use split moong dal which works great!
- If you’re making this for kids you can add some frozen mixed vegetables or fresh veggies like broccoli, carrots, spinach etc to get in a little more nutrition.
- Another great option for
- f you don’t like plain Khichdi, try out my Masala Khichdi which is also made in the Instant Pot
As always, if you make this recipe, I’d love to see so please share on social media and tag me on @thechutneylife!! Happy Eating 🙂
Instant Pot Khichdi
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal (I use oily)
- 3 tbsp butter (you can use ghee)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse the toor dal and basmati rice in a fine colander a few times until the water runs clear.
- Place the rinsed dal and rice into the Instant Pot along with the rest of the ingredients and close the lid. High pressure cook for 8 minutes and then quick release after 10 minutes or let it natural release.
- Serve hot with ghee!