When I think of cold weather recipes I always think of a warming bowl of chili. Its hearty, saucy, spicy and has so many great textures and flavors all in one bowl! Today I’m sharing an Instant Pot Turkey Chili with you that is spicy, obviously a little Indian inspired and something that is great to have in the fridge and warm up for a quick lunch or dinner that is super satisfying.
There are a LOT of spices in this recipe so I suggest to really measure everything out and get situated before you turn the Instant Pot on so you can make it easier on yourself.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe and when you make it, be sure to tag me on @thechutneylife so I can see your wonderful creations! Happy Eating!
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- 1.5 cups diced onions
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1.5 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Blend the following in a blender or food processor until smooth:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo (from canned chipotles)
- Turn the Instant Pot onto Saute mode and once it's hot add the 2 tbsp of oil. Next add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for about 30 seconds. Next add the diced onions, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook until the onions are slightly translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Next add the diced peppers, and conitnue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the tomato paste is well combined and the peppers have started to soften.
- Next add the ground turkey, salt, spices except the chipotle in adobo and stir for about 4-5 minutes to allow the turkey to cook. Add the broth, stir well and place a lid on the Instant Pot. Hit cancel and switch the Instant Pot to high pressure cook mode and set the timer for 5 minutes. Once the timer goes off, let the Instant Pot cool down for 10 minutes and then quick release and place the Instant Pot back on Saute Mode.
- Add the marinara, rinsed beans, chipotle in adobo sauce, cilantro and simmer for about 8-10 minutes to let the chili thicken a bit. Remove from heat when ready.
- Serve with toppings of shredded cheese, pico de gallo, chipotle sour cream, and a side of tortilla chips for some crunh!