Every week you will find a few staples in my dinner rotation, one of which is this super easy and quick Vegetable Orzo Soup. I admit, it sounds a little lack luster but it’s super flavorful and sometimes you want a no fuss meal that hits the spot and is fairly healthy. I make this in the Instant Pot and it’s such a great way to just toss in any vegetables you have in the fridge. Peppers, zucchini, carrots, celery all work great in this recipe and you could also add in greens like kale and spinach !
Here are some more of my favorite soup recipes: Black Bean Soup, Tortilla Soup, Penne Vodka Minestrone, Fiery Pinto Bean Soup, Lasagna Soup
If you’re on the WW program, this recipe is 4 SmartPoints per serving (one serving is 2 cups).
Additional add ins:
- Freshly grated cheese
- A spoonful of pesto or cilantro chutney for some kick
- Squeeze of lemon
- Handful of spinach or kale
- Other vegetables like peas, tomatoes, Indian bottle gourd
- kidney beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans
I hope you all enjoyed this recipe and you can find more on @thechutneylife! Be sure to tag me or leave a comment if you try this and as always, happy eating!
Instant Pot Vegetable Orzo Soup
- 1/3 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 1 cup zucchini, diced small
- 3/4 cup celery, diced small (about 2 celery stalks)
- 3/4 cup carrot, diced small (about 2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp cajun or creole seasoning
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh herbs for garnish (chopped cilantro or parsley)
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute mode and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Next, add all of the diced vegetables together (onions, celery, bell peppers, zucchini, carrots) and let them cook for about 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
- Next, add the garlic, ginger, and all of the remaining seasonings (cajun powder & spices) and saute for about 1-2 minutes until everything is fragrant but not browned. Add in the orzo, stir for about 2 minutes to get the orzo slightly toasted and then add in the water and salt.
- Give everything a quick stir, hit cancel on the Instant Pot and turn it on to High Pressure Mode and set the timer for 8 minutes.
- After the the pressure cooking mode is complete, quick release after 10 minutes and serve hot. Garnish with additional herbs like cilantro or parsley or a fresh squeeze of lemon juice!
Made it for dinner and was loved by all in the family including my toddler!