Here’s a salad I make often for good reason- it’s very leafy green forward, doesn’t require too much chopping or prep work- and it really delivers on taste. It’s also fairly “clean” so if you’re trying to eat a bit better and incorporate a more plant based, vegetable forward diet- you will love this!
What is Tuscan Kale?
Tuscan Kale is different than the usual curly kale you are used to seeing. It has a more peppery taste- and is much better in my opinion! It’s also called Lacinato Kale and is sold at most grocery stores!
How to Prepare this Salad:
- Start by washing the Tuscan kale very well (it can have a lot of dirt) and then hold the stem upside down and rip the leaves away from the hard middle stem. Keep doing this and then pile the leaves up , roll them up, and slice them into 1 inch ribbons, and then cut the ribbons in half so you have short little squares (or square-isa pieces).
- Set the kale aside and work on the cauliflower. Cut the Cauliflower into large florets and then each floret into wide flat pieces as best as you can. The wider and flatter the cauliflower- the more surface area it has to really caramelize when roasting.
- Toss the cauliflower in the oil and spices and roast in the oven until they are golden and fork tender. Rotate the pan midway through for even cooking.
- While the cauliflower cooks, toss the dressing together and then dress the kale, mixing it very well and then letting it sit just for about 15 minutes or so – the dressing and mixing will help break down the toughness of the kale !
- To prep ahead of time you can cut the kale and cauliflower ahead of time as well as make the dressing upto two days ahead !
- You can also make an extra batch of the breadcrumbs and keep them in the pantry in an airtight container- they stay fresh for a couple of weeks!
Kale Salad with Roasted Cauliflower & Honey Garlic Vinaigrette
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (I used a 20 oz bag) cut so they are flat wide pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale cut into ribbons with the hard middle stem removed. About 3 cups tighly packed.
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, panko
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- optional pecorino romano cheese- freshly grated
For the Dressing:
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- salt and cracked pepper
Make the dressing:
- Combine all of the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk well with a fork. Adjust the ingredients based on your preference (add more honey for sweetness or vinegar for acidity)
Roast the Cauliflower:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Combine the cauliflower, garlic powder, salt, pepper, curry powder and olive oil in a large bowl, using our hands to mix everything well so the oil and seasonings are evenly distributed. Spread the cauliflower onto a large baking pan so its in a single layer (use two pans if necessary).
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the cauliflower is golden on one side and fork tender. Once the cauliflower is cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle generously with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese (optional but SO worth it).
Prep the Kale:
- Remove the hard middle rib from the kale after washing thoroughly and cut the kale into medium size strips or ribbons and place in a large bowl (same bowl as you mixed the cauliflower in). Add one clove of grated garlic, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon to the kale and use your hands to massage all of this in- this will help break the kale down and make it more tender.
Make the Breadcrumbs:
- In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil and two cloves of garlic until its just fragrant, add the breadcrumbs and toast over medium heat, stirring often until the breadcrumbs are golden. Remove from the pan and let them cool down before adding to the salad.
Assemble the salad:
- Place the kale in a large bowl, and pour the dressing all over and mix well with a spoon so the dressing coats all of the kale. Add the roasted cauliflower, breadcrumbs and enjoy!!