I make fried rice like it’s my JOB, yall. I usually have my MIL make a huge batch of plain rice and then throughout the week I fry it in a few different ways like my Masala Fried Rice or my Kimchi Fried Rice! I love rough chopping some veggies (so easy to do this with pre cut bagged veggies) and then a little garlic and some spices go such a long way!
I use long grain basmati rice but feel free to use what you like and I find these fried rice recipes work a lot better with leftover rice that has been refrigerated- so try not to use hot fresh rice if you can help it!
Warning: This rice is SPICY- realized that after using the Ching’s Schezwan Sauce (available at most Patel Brothers locations) that it had some major heat- but we drank a gallon of water, wiped off our brow sweat and kept eating because it was delicious!
Spicy Broccoli & Edamame Fried Rice
- 1/2 red onion sliced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (use serrano for more spice)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped small
- 1 cup edamame (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup scallions
- 2 cups cooked plain rice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Ching's Schezwan Sauce (Available at Patel Brothers)
- 3 tbsp oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and jalapenos. Let splutter and add the onions and broccoli. Continue to stir for a few minutes, add some salt and cook until the onions and broccoli have slightly softened. If you like your broccoli to be softer (place a lid on the pan and cook until desired doneness). I leave the broccoli to have some bite.
- Add the garlic and scallions to the skillet and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the schezwan sauce, white pepper, soy sauce, edamame and stir well.
- Add rice, continuing to stir until everything is mixed well. Taste for salt and add if needed.
- Garnish with additional scallions, and serve hot!