I am so excited to share these Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos with you today! They make for a great dinner, or weekend lunch and are packed with so much flavor and texture. The chipotle sauce in these burritos brings everything together and doubling the match might be a smart idea. I love adding my One Pot Mexican Rice to these burritos, but if you skip it, or use just plain cooked rice, it will also work and be just as good!
A few shortcuts to make your life easy:
- Peel and dice the sweet potato the night before and refrigerate until they’re ready to hit the oven!
- Make the sauce up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate- it makes things go a lot quicker!
- While the sweet potatoes cook in the oven, work on your sauce and beans!
How to make this recipe healthy-ish:
- Substitute the regular tortillas for an almond flour tortilla like Siete Foods .
- Skip the Tortillas and cheese all together and enjoy a black bean and roasted sweet potato bowl with some greens on the side and use the chipotle sauce as a dressing.
- Substitute the mayonnaise in the chipotle sauce for full fat greek yogurt.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Burrito Size Flour Tortillas
- Canned Black Beans
- Sweet Potatoes
- Chipotle in Adobo
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- One Pot Mexican Rice (or any premade Mexican-ish Rice or Plain White Cooked Rice)
Don’t forget to leave your tortillas out for a bit so they are soft and pliable enough to roll into a burrito. If you forget- just pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
Also, rolling these into burritos can prove to be a bit difficult so feel free to make them into a quesadilla! Much easier and same great taste 🙂 As always, don’t forget to tag me on @thechutneylife so I can see all of your wonderful creations 🙂
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos with Chipotle Sauce
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (roughly 4 cups diced)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 serrano chilis, finely chopped (less for less spice)
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Blend the following in a food processor:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 chipotle in adobo peppers (from a small can)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder/cayenne
Additional Items needed:
- 4 Burrito Size Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup Mexican Rice from Mexican Rice Recipe**
- 8 oz package shredded mexican blend cheese
- additional oil as needed
**Optional to add my One Pot Mexican Rice (recipe linked above in the blog post) or use plain white cooked white rice or omit.
To Cook the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, spices and sweet potatoes together and mix well. Emtpy onto a large rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven for about 16-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are completely fork tender and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the Black Beans
- Heat a pot over medium high eat and add oil. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for about 30 seconds. Next add the diced serranos, stir quickly and then add the diced onions. Cook the onions until they're transluelcent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, stir until just fragrant and then add the rinsed black beans along with the taco seasoning. Stir well to combine. If the seasonings begin to stick and the pot looks dry, add 2-3 tbsp of water (just enough to get the beans to be a little wet and to scrape up any of the spices from the bottom of the pot). Cook the black beans on low heat for about 5-6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat , add the cilantro and then use a potato masher to mash the beans slightly (you dont want them into a puree). Set aside.
Assemble the Burritos: (you can also make these into quesadillas layering in the same way as the burritos )
- Layer a flour tortilla first with two heaping tbsp of the chipotle sauce, then top with about 1/4 cup of cheese, followed by 1/4 cup of the black bean mixture, 1/3 cup of the sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup of rice if using and lastly with another handful of shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla into a burrito shape and place them flap side down until you're ready to grill them.
- On a flat griddle or pan heat about 1 tsp of oil over medium high heat and place the rolled burritos on the skillet, flap side down. Cook the burritos on all sides for about 30 seconds each or until it is golden brown on all sides, adding a small drizzle of additonal oil as needed. Remove from heat, cut in half and serve with extra chipotle sauce on the side!
Leave A Comment