Yes, the last recipe I posted was also “mexican inspired”, and yes so is this one. Sorry but I can’t help it. I guess I’m in a bit of a phase. With that said, you guys should know now that I LOVE quesadillas. It’s not the first thing I would order if I were out dining, but I will take a home made quesadilla any time of day. My midnight snack is usually a quesadilla with just cheese, onion and jalapenos- the BEST!
I tried something a little different with these quesadillas and filled them with the most tender tandoori flavored chicken! I love adding chicken in yogurt because it really makes the chicken taste like its been marinating for over 24 hours, which frankly I don’t have the time for.
I normally would serve these with a cilantro jalapeño sauce but I was in the mood for something a little different yesterday. Lucky for me, I’ve been on a fresh juice kick so I had a LOT of fruit on hand to choose from. I took one look at the pineapple sitting in my fridge and decided to try and make a pineapple salsa! The longer the salsa sat, the juicier and tastier it became! It’s sweetness and brightness was a perfect compliment to the smokiness of the tandoori chicken.
Try it for yourself 🙂 Happy eating!
Tandoori Chicken Quesadillas, Pineapple Salsa
For the Chicken Marinade, Combine the following:
3 Tbsp plain yogurt
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp Tandoori Masala
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, minced/grated
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 lbs chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
Salt & Pepper to taste
Squeeze of fresh lemon
To cook the chicken:
1 Tsp Cumin seeds
2 jalapeños, diced small
1/2 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
Few Dashes Hot Sauce (I use Cholula)
2 cups shredded cheese (I used pepper jack and cheddar)
1.5 tbsp oil
Combine the following:
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 tbsp thetcha garlic chutney
Combine the following and let sit for 15-20 minutes:
1 cup pineapple, diced small
1 jalapeno, diced small (Use Serrano if you like it spicier)
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
2 tbsp red bell pepper, finely diced
1.5 tbsp honey
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
- In a large bowl add the yogurt, spices and chicken and mix well to combine ingredients.
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat and once hot add oil and cumin seeds.
- Add chicken along with all of the marinade/sauce.
- Cook, stirring continuously until chicken has almost cooked through.
- Add sliced red peppers and green peppers and continue to cook until peppers are just slightly softened and chicken has cooked all the way through.
- Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce, and remove chicken from heat.
Assembling the Quesadillas:
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and once hot add a tortilla that has been spread evenly with the "spicy spread".
- Top half of the tortilla with shredded cheese first, then top with cooked chicken and top again with more shredded cheese.
- Fold the other half over the chicken and cheese mix and cook until both sides of quesadillas are golden brown.
- Remove from heat, slice into thirds with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Serve hot with fresh pineapple salsa!!