Listen, I’m not sure this site of mine needed yet another fried rice recipe but here I am anyway- I can’t help myself. Plus, I still really suck at making plain rice and so I’m sticking to what I know- which is taking leftover plain rice and tossing it in a bunch of veggies and spices! This rice is great as a side dish or as a big ol bowl of love for lunch! The green chilis I ended up using were a bit spicy for us so we had this rice with a dollop of sour cream on top and it was HEAVEN. We had the rice with Gravy Chicken last night and it was such a hearty and satisfying meal!
Note: I prefer and always use the Tandoori Masala from Swad!
Tandoori Fried Rice
Yield 3-4 Servings
- 3 cups cooked plain white basmati rice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilis, finely diced (less or more per taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp Swad Tandoori Masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 a red onion, sliced
- 1/2 a green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for a few seconds. Add the green chili, peppercorns & bay leaf and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onions and bell peppers, salt, and turn the heat down to medium low and saute for about 4-5 minutes until they are slightly soft.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute for a few minutes until fragrant. Then add the tomato paste and cook, stirring continuously, for another 2-3 minutes. Add the turmeric powder, tandoori masala, garam masala, chili powder to the pot and stir for a few minutes. The spices will begin to look dry and clumpy- add 2-3 tbsp of water (one tbsp at a time) just enough to get the spices to move freely in the pot and not be clumpy.
- Once the water has evaporated slightly, Add the butter, mix and right when it is almost completely melted, add the plain rice, white pepper, cilantro & corn. Mix everything well- gently folding in the rice. (Tip: if using leftover refrigerated rice- bring the rice to room temperature first or warm it up in the microwave).
- Cook until all the spices are evenly distributed. Taste for salt and serve hot!