Here’s a salad I make often for good reason- it’s very leafy green forward, doesn’t require too much chopping or prep work- and it really delivers on taste. It’s also fairly “clean” so if you’re trying to eat a bit better and incorporate a more plant based, vegetable forward diet- you will love this!
What is Tuscan Kale?
Tuscan Kale is different than the usual curly kale you are used to seeing. It has a more peppery taste- and is much better in my opinion! It’s also called Lacinato Kale and is sold at most grocery stores!
How to Prepare this Salad:
- Start by washing the Tuscan kale very well (it can have a lot of dirt) and then hold the stem upside down and rip the leaves away from the hard middle stem. Keep doing this and then pile the leaves up , roll them up, and slice them into 1 inch ribbons, and then cut the ribbons in half so you have short little squares (or square-isa pieces).
- Set the kale aside and work on the cauliflower. Cut the Cauliflower into large florets and then each floret into wide flat pieces as best as you can. The wider and flatter the cauliflower- the more surface area it has to really caramelize when roasting.
- Toss the cauliflower in the oil and spices and roast in the oven until they are golden and fork tender. Rotate the pan midway through for even cooking.
- While the cauliflower cooks, toss the dressing together and then dress the kale, mixing it very well and then letting it sit just for about 15 minutes or so – the dressing and mixing will help break down the toughness of the kale !
- To prep ahead of time you can cut the kale and cauliflower ahead of time as well as make the dressing upto two days ahead !
- You can also make an extra batch of the breadcrumbs and keep them in the pantry in an airtight container- they stay fresh for a couple of weeks!