If you follow my page regularly (or if you just take a quick scroll through)- you know I love me some Tex-Mex food! I’ve had tomatillos on my mind for quite some time but I just wasn’t sure of how I wanted to use them in a recipe. I’ve never really used them before and there are a ton of ways you can prepare them- but I decided to use them for a delicious and easy breakfast recipe.
Tomatillos can be found at most regular grocery stores and or hispanic markets. They have a papery outer husk you should remove and then rinse each tomatillo well (they are quite sticky). I decided to roast them to really get the most flavor out of them (versus boiling them to cook them down) along with some onions and jalapeños. After the veggies were roasted, everything goes into the blender and you get this delicious, tangy, spicy, velvety sauce that smells SO DAMN GOOD.
This is great for a crowd because it really doesn’t take too much prep time or much clean up either. I topped this off with some sliced red onions, feta (didn’t have any cotija or queso fresco on hand), a nice squeeze of lime juice and as always some CILANTRO! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
- Add in handful of fresh spinach or kale to make this more nutrient dense.
- Replace the jalapeños with some serranos for extra heat.
- Add in one or two roasted poblanos for more yummy goodness.
- Add in a pinch of garam masala for a more Indian flavor.
- Make double or triple this batch and keep in the fridge for a quick and effortless weekday breakfast. All you’ll have to do is crack in some eggs!
Happy Eating <3