Samosa Chaat Pizza
Yield 3-4 Servings
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 green chilis, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed by hand (do not puree or blend)
- 3 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 pizza crusts ( I use Stone Fire Pizza Crust, but Pillsbury Refrigerated Pizza Crust works well too)
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 package thin/fine sev ( I like Garvi Gujrat Bhel Sev)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- cilantro, for garnish
Quick Sweet Chutney:
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl:
1/2 cup Apple butter
1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
6 tbsp water
Pinch of Salt
In a blender, combine the following:
2 bunches cilantro, chopped roughly (bottom 2-3 inches of stems removed)
1/2 cup mint leaves
6 cloves garlic, peeled
3 jalapenos, roughly chopped (serranos for more spice)
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 of a lime, squeezed
3 tbsp peanuts,plain unsalted & skins removed
1/4 tsp salt *or to taste*
2-3 Tbsp of water as needed for smooth consistency
Combine the following:
1/2 cup plain full fat yogurt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the boiled potatoes to a large wide bowl and add the following ingredients: turmeric, chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, amchur powder, chat masala, fennel powder, garam masala, cilantro, and salt to taste. Using your hands or a potato masher, gently combine the spices into the potato mixture so they are evenly distributed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (size of potatoes may alter this recipe).
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add the cumin and mustard seeds. Once they begin to splutter, add the green chilis and the hing. Stir for 30-60 seconds being careful the cumin does not burn or brown too much.
- Add the garlic and stir for a few minutes until it is fragrant. Add the potatoes to the pot, and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For a crispier pizza crust (if you're using ready made crust), brush the crust lightly with oil and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes directly on the rack. Remove from oven, let cool. If you're using fresh dough, bake the pizza crust completely and then add the toppings.
- Assemble by the pizza by gently spreading the potato mixture evenly over the crust. It may be easier to use your hands and use a gentle patting motion to do this.
- Once you've evenly spread the potato mixture, top evenly with mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven on a tray for about 8-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. If you like a crispier golden crust and browned cheese- broil the pizza on low for 2-3 minutes until cheese is slightly browned and edges of pizza crust are golden.
- Remove pizza from oven drizzle with all three of the sauces, top with fine sev, finely chopped onions, chopped cilantro and handful of pomegranate arils. Enjoy hot and fresh!