This enchilada casserole turned out so much better than I thought! I love enchiladas. It is the ultimate comfort food, and in my home, usually made on Sunday nights. My favorite part of enchiladas has always been the tortilla and the SAUCE. I love me some soggy tortilla thats been soaking in enchilada sauce and of course CHEESE (don’t judge me, guys)! However, If you give me something juicy, saucy and cheesy- I honestly will not even miss the tortillas that I am used to loving in enchiladas- and that is definitely how I felt after one bite of this casserole! I wanted to make a more nutritious option to enchiladas without compromising on that “comfort food feeling” and I really think that is what I achieved!
This recipe is also awesome because it requires very minimal clean up in the kitchen! Im not a one pot meal kind of girl but this is as close to it as I will get. Its so quick and easy and even better for those days when you have a ton of veggies left over in the fridge and don’t know what to do with them!
Top this casserole off with some pico de gallo, sliced avocado and you’re in for a real treat and if you’re like me, a HUGE dollop of sour cream ?
Here are some great variations you could use for this recipe:
- Take out the beans and add in more veggies like cauliflower, kale, mushrooms, spinach or double up on the zucchini
- Use the bean and zucchini mixture as a filling for more traditional veggie enchiladas flour tortillas if you like!
- Use the enchilada sauce and the veggie mixture as layers between lasagna sheets for a mexican inspired lasagna!
- Add in crumbled ground turkey or pieces of grilled chicken for an excellent added source of protein
- Add in cooked quinoa or brown rice for a heartier vegetarian dinner!
Happy eating, folks! Stay hungry & stay humble <3